My rants and insight into Colgate athletics and Patriot League sports

Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Little Game Week Diversion

This question was posed over at Any Given Saturday and I thought it would be a great topic to bring over to the blog. The question is, what would you name as Colgate's all decade team from the past 10 years? Tough question, but here was my best shot:

QB - Ryan Vena - '99 or '00. I think he graduated late. If I remember correctly, he coached for a season after he was done playing.
TB - Jamaal Branch - 05
FB - Ben Evans after this season? - '06
WR - Corey Hill - '99
WR - Luke Graham - '05
TE - John Frieser - '04
OL - Marc Sclafani - '04
OL - Ken Kubec - '02
OL - Matt Shepard - '03
OL - Luke George - '99
OL - Paul Clasby - '00
PK - Lane Schwarzberg - '05
Punter - Brendan Biddle - '03

DL - Robert Hannah - '04
DL - Alex Houston - '01
DL - Josh Sabo - '04
DL - Mike Latek - '05
LB - Tem Lukabu - '04
LB - Adam Sofran -'97
LB - Ron Hampton - '02
DB - Geoff Bean - by the time he is done -'07
DB - Sean McCune - '04
DB - Keith Brooks '01 /Ameer Riley ('02 but did not complete if I remember correctly)
DB - Jamal Patterson '97/Max Wynn - '03

Pretty tough to compile this list. I'd love to hear some thoughts from readers on this one.

(Edit: I've added class years to the best of my memory. Rene Vargas was '04. I've also thought more on this and think Marcus Cameron '97 was worthy of mention at DB. He was something like a 3 or 4 year starter.)

11 Comments:

  • if evans and bean aren't on there, the obvious picks would have to be tim lavioe for fullback and tommy mccarroll for DB

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:54 AM  

  • I had Rene Vargas but took him out when I remembered Luke George was an All-American. You can't forget how good George and Clasby were from those late 90s teams...

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Vargas had one all PL year or no?

    Lavoie was darn good. I only wish he played more. McCarroll was a fine DB too, but my bet is on when Bean is done he'll be as solid as they come, maybe even All-American or PL D Player of the Year. Solid!

    By Blogger colgate13, at 11:42 AM  

  • Mark Murphy?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:45 AM  

  • Mark Murphy graduated in '77. This is an all decade team, 1996-2005.

    I will try to get the class year's up. You're really taxing my memory Pop! :)

    By Blogger colgate13, at 12:59 PM  

  • Vargas was third team All-America in 2003 ....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

  • Really? How come I can't remember that. If so, perhaps Vargas should replace Matt Shepard? I firmly believe that Clasby, George, Kubec and Sclafani are no brainers. Shepard did garner some All-America nods himself if I remember correctly.

    Did Vargas start his junior year?

    By Blogger colgate13, at 2:09 PM  

  • how about current Colgate coach Kevin Bolis ... a honorable mention AA at center ... a key factor in two PL titles and three straight appearances in the NCAA Tournament.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 PM  

  • Kevin Bolis is a FINE addition to this squad. He played along side George and was a force to be reckoned with. Apparently we've got enough offensive lineman for a first and second team!

    It is interesting though - not a lot of suggestions/complaints about the rest of the team.

    By Blogger colgate13, at 8:02 PM  

  • The D Train, Daymon Smith is the top fullback of the decade. PL Offensive PoL, All-PL, 3rd team AA.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 PM  

  • D Train... of course I remember him. But my memory puts him at tailback. When was he fullback? Senior year when Caravetta was tailback?

    If he counts as a full back, then he gets the nod for sure

    By Blogger colgate13, at 10:10 PM  

  • According to the media guide, Smith played in 1993, 1995-1997. Remember he was hurt in 1994 and redshirted. The rushing leaders for those years were 1993 - Sporacio; 1995 - Smith; 1996 - Caravetta; 1997 - Weiss. Smith was the fullback.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home