My rants and insight into Colgate athletics and Patriot League sports

Sunday, November 13, 2005

UGLY

I would have posted something on this sooner, but frankly, I struggled for what exactly to say. I thought I had seen the ugliest football Colgate has played in a long time when I left the field after the Central Connecticut game. Turns out I was wrong. We had, in my opinion, an uglier half still left to play.

The first half of the Bucknell game was bad. Really bad. Let me get it out of the way to say our defense played great. The let up three points and shut down Bucknell pretty much all day. I also give credit to the offense for not packing it in after a tough three quarters.

We are, however, truly fortunate to have left that game with a 'W' given the play of our offense. The most frustrating thing is that I see flashes of brilliance on this offense, usually sandwiched between turnovers and ineffectiveness. It seems like since the third quarter of Lehigh, the sharpness just hasn't been there.

If we were going to make a case for an 8-3 at large bid to the playoffs, we just blew it with that one. We need to hope for a Lafayette win on Saturday; but more importantly, we need to come to play against Georgetown, or we could be leaving D.C. very disappointed.

With that off my chest, I sincerely would like to thank this year's seniors for a great run at Andy Kerr. It's been great to watch you all.

7 Comments:

  • The interesting thing about this year's Colgate football team is that they have suffered very few injuries. Looking at the stats, the same people have started most every game.

    With that in mind, why, considering that fact that the communication among the players on the field should have been solid, did Colgate seem to go down hill as the season progressed rather than up hill?

    I am glad that the record is 7-3, but I would have thought by the end of the season that this team was going to be a highly productive, powerhouse.

    Thanks for the defense.
    Don't understand the underachieving offense.

    Hope we can close out the season with a resounding win over Georgetown.

    Not sure that this is a team ready for playoff competition.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:59 PM  

  • Do any of you understand that we have been playing the last two games (seven quarters) with a quarterback who has a separated shoulder - which limits the offense plays.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

  • I understand perfectly. The play calling is the problem. Turnovers and fumbles are the problem.

    By Blogger colgate13, at 7:29 PM  

  • As far as I know, we have 3 good, healthy freshmen quarterbacks available. If Saraceno's shoulder separation is hindering his play, why not give one of the freshmen a shot?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 PM  

  • I think what is lacking is confident leadership on the field. Poor judgement, throwing into coverage, not being able to find a secondary receiver, poor exchanges of the ball, all disappointing.
    I also would have thought the O-line would have come together at this point. The only time I saw dominance on the line of scrimage was vs Holy Cross. Not coincidently, that and Lafayette were the only games where the offense was a big part of the win.
    I do not blame the play calling from the coaches. They have been struggling to get basic plays executed, hence the conservative play calling.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 PM  

  • The Lehigh game was the only game in which we seemed to break out of our "normal" offense, i.e. typical Colgate runs up the middle, a few tosses to the sidelines after roll outs by the QB, etc. There was a more imaginative offense that day which was never repeated again as far as I can tell from listening to the games and reading the message boards. If nothing else this off-season I hope the offensive gurus get together and put in a "west coast offense" or the single wing for next year. I'm tired of the same old same old!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 PM  

  • I couldn't disagree more. 'Colgate' football is built on a solid running game and backs that run a lot. When the system is working great, we are unstoppable. When it is working good, we're a playoff caliber team. Even when it's working so-so, we're a seven game winning team.

    There are different styles of offense, but I for one do not wish to see any sort of west coast offense or run and gun at Colgate. I like the ball control and rushing.

    By Blogger colgate13, at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home