My rants and insight into Colgate athletics and Patriot League sports

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Raiders Continue to Roll

So, first question: Anyone want to change their poll choice about Jordan Scott being the tailback of the future?

Scott puts up 222 yards in today's 27-14 victory over the Crusaders at Fitton Field and does it in more impressive fashion than his previous games. After the first quarter, his runs were of the longer variety and really helped Colgate get on a roll. I'd say we have a potential star in the making here. Keep up the good work Jordan!
I was not at the game but I listened to it via the radio. I'd love to hear thoughts from those that were there, but here's how it sounded filtered through 93.9 WKXZ:
Colgate came out ready to play and continued to improve from week to week. We couldn't pull Holy Cross away as soon as perhaps we would have liked, as turnovers hurt us a few times and, surprisingly, penalties were actually a factor. Still, what more could have you asked from this team?
  • Jordan Scott runs for 222 yards. That's a keep ingredient to Raider success.
  • Multiple receivers are involved in the game. Today, it was Erik Burke making the difference. Great rebound by Erik to come right back and score a touchdown after the first turnover that led to a Crusader score. DeWayne Long was kept in check for most of the day, but boy did he come up big when needed, along with Kenny Parker on a big third down. I hope Kenny is 100% next weekend because we will need all three against Lehigh.
  • Holy cow, what a defense! We held Holy Cross to even less rushing yards than Fordham! Steve Silva was essentially a non-factor with 9 yards on the ground and 63 in the air. He had a few kick returns that set up Holy Cross for good field position, but ultimately, he did not score a touchdown. First time this year he did not I think.
  • Jared Nepa continues to prove he is a force on the inside and in my humble opinion is as good as any other linebacker in the nation. He is a complete package.
  • Our defensive line has truly come of age. How I wish they were juniors! Still, this squad has a few more games to continue to make a name for themselves.
  • Mike Saraceno continues to make us all forget about Central Connecticut. I've got some confidence he will only get better as this season moves on. And, we get him for another year!
  • The offensive line sounded like the finally hit on all cylinders today. Holy Cross is no pushover, and yet for more than one series on offense it sounded like we had our way with them.
That's all for now. Solid Colgate win against a good Holy Cross squad. This one should be savoured until tomorrow, when it becomes all about those Brown and White Engin... er... Mountain Hawks who will want to put themselves in control of their own destiny with a victory at Andy Kerr. Right now, Homer says there's no way in hell that's happening!
Oh, and I will need to make a short trip to the hospital right after this. I seemed to have broken my elbow patting myself on my back for my picks this week: 3-0 and my scores were VERY close to being correct. I had Colgate over Holy Cross 28-17 (ended up 27-14) and Lehigh over Bucknell 38-7 (ended up 40-10) and I had Georgetown over Fordham and the Hoyas pulled it out in the fourth quarter.
Until tomorrow, time to watch the I-AA scoreboard for those upsets. Delaware has already taken down JMU and Montana has shot down Cal Poly. I'm thinking those Raiders might sneak in the others receiving votes category.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home