My rants and insight into Colgate athletics and Patriot League sports

Friday, July 29, 2005

The "Other" Georgetown

I'd like to share with my readers one of my frequent frustrations: Georgetown College. No, that's not a typo and you're not taking crazy pills. There is Georgetown University, and then there is Georgetown College. You see, when you search for things on the internet and use the words "Georgetown football" you can easily come up with hits to the other G'Town.

So I decided to dig another layer into it. Turns out Georgetown College is located in Kentucky and is a NAIA powerhouse! They've been to the NAIA finals 5 times since 1991 and won the whole thing 3 times, most recently in 2000 and 2001.


Georgetown College Tigers

Which got me thinking even more: I know absolutely nothing about that other athletic association. Why does a school choose to exist in the NAIA instead of the NCAA Division III? What are the benefits? It's this whole other world... I mean, they even have Canadian schools in it! Looking over the school list, I'm seeing a lot of southern and mid-western teams as well as a large contingent of California schools. I think I count three schools in New York. I tell you, I'm just plain perplexed about the purpose of the NAIA when their is NCAA Division III.

Now, as for other frustrations, can I get a dollar for every "Holy Cross" high school there is in the U.S.?

3 Comments:

  • Many NAIA schools offer scholarships, while Division III, of course, does not. Georgetown (KY) is more comparable to a Division II school in talent.

    Some schools prefer the NAIA because there is less regulation than the NCAA and fewer sports needed to sponsor.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 AM  

  • Interesting... NAIA football scholarships? I'm still at a loss then about the attraction of NAIA over D-II.

    Reading the NAIA website makes it sound like they are more about the student side of student-athlete. Less regulation would therefore be surprising.

    By Blogger colgate13, at 9:58 PM  

  • Less regulation, as in less NCAA-style regulation on recruiting, transfer eligibility, etc.

    Schools that stay in the NAIA probably do so if there are not enough local D-II teams to play or if there entire conference stays in NAIA. More are eventually heading to the NCAA, though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home