My rants and insight into Colgate athletics and Patriot League sports

Thursday, July 28, 2005

New Poll

After having up the football scholarship poll for a while, the results are pretty clear:

73% of those who participated want football scholarships and think Colgate should push the issue within the Patriot League.

With the season opener against CCSU (which by the way includes the return of former Colgate assistant Ed Argast part of the deal) only 36 days away, I felt that a new poll was in order. I think this is an interesting question to ask, which is basically, what's the biggest game on our schedule this year? It's hard to predict how important a game against say, Bucknell, will be when that is a few months away, but what makes it even harder is the parity that many predict will rule the Patriot League this year. Throw in UMass returning to Andy Kerr in non blizzard conditions and frankly, I don't know what to think.

Normally I'd put the Lehigh at the top of that list, but then again, a win against UMass would be nice. Then I have to think about the streak against Lafayette and the fact that I'm not ready for a loss to the Leopards just yet; especially when they have such high hopes for the season! Of course, some revenge against the Bison after last year's embarrassment would be nice - and then, Fordham's not a team to be taken lightly either.

Finally, Holy Cross and G'Town are both hoping for break out seasons. We play them on the road and almost lost to both of them in 2003... Why shouldn't those games be 'big' too?

I guess all of the games are 'big' games... so what one do you think is the biggest? I've got to decide between UMass, Lehigh and Lafayette...

6 Comments:

  • Lehigh. You gotta take care of the league games first.

    Then we can have UMass-Colgate Round II in the playoffs again :)

    P.S. And NO @#*&% SNOW !!

    By Blogger UMass74, at 5:03 PM  

  • I'd vote for UMASS.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 PM  

  • UMass is taking an early lead... I must say I am drawn to that one too; but I'm wondering if that has more to do with the fact that it is the second game of the year?

    I still haven't voted. UMass, Lehigh, Lafayette... tough call!

    By Blogger colgate13, at 11:14 AM  

  • As an outsider, I haven't formed an opinion as to how good Gate will be this year--I recognize the loss of several superstars, but with an assurance that there is surely a reservoir of talent to replace them. A win over transfer- rich UMASS would, frankly, scare the hell out of me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM  

  • Alright, I've decided. UMass is a big, huge game. Lafayette should be a great battle and road test for this team... but year in and year out, Lehigh is what stands between Colgate and the PL title. I think I've got to continue to consider that the biggest game of the year for Colgate.

    Therefore, my vote is in. Interesting results so far: UMass and Lehigh head to head!

    By Blogger colgate13, at 8:59 AM  

  • Impressesed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home